Skip to content

Category Archives: Community

June, what June?

13-Jul-11

I just noticed that the entire month of June passed, and I’ve been hidden away from the world – off work, off writing, off any community activities – caring for my wife while she goes through some tough times. She’s not out of the woods entirely yet, but clear fields are in sight and I’ve […]

What would you think if I started an internal-to-Red Hat Fedora users list?

26-May-11

So I had an idea this week, partially in response to one of our stellar global support staff members saying that he wishes there was a person or place to send internal people needing user help with Fedora. The kind of help they would get from the external Fedora users mailing list, the kind of […]

Thinking about an audiocast for The Open Source Way

06-May-11

OK, so we’ve got this interesting, upstream, canonical, referenceable community to write cleverly and talk about the principles of the open source way. Also, hey, let’s gather some details on how to implement these principles! But *yawn*, pardon me, even a genius can’t make that prose very interesting. It needs some stories. A big part […]

Community Leadership Summit (CLS) West success from a distance

15-Jan-11

Today is the Community Leadership Summit West (CLS West) in Daly City. I had to cancel attending today, which meant I was able to put the mantle of talking about The Open Source Way (book and methodology) to my main-man Mark Terranova.  I met Mark at the first CLS in 2009, we’ve become fast friends, […]

Lindependence Hour starting up in Santa Cruz

23-Nov-10

Larry and Drew got talking on #lindependence about the idea of holding a regular hour-long Linux event at a local coffee shop, and they pulled me in to the idea.  The event is styled on the Ubuntu Hour concept.  In discussing it, Larry really wanted to emphasize a distro-agnostic viewpoint.  I like Larry’s approach.  First, […]

Community building is down to Earth – a setiQuest Summit update

14-Aug-10

Spent the middle part of today in a working session, lead by IDEO facilitators, to tackle a few of the big questions in front of setiQuest and the Seti Institute. The two big questions were generally: How do we enable developers and designers to contribute back to setiQuest in a way that benefits all involved? […]

SETICON and setiQuest Summit this Saturday

11-Aug-10

This week I got a great surprise, my friend Jeff scored me an invite to the setiQuest Summit, held this weekend at SETICON in Santa Clara.  The excitement is that, after all these years, the SETI team is open sourcing their code, including the algorithms used to scan telescope data for signs of extraterrestrial life.  […]

Pondering a solution for a K12 strategy, or Treating our community leadership team like a FOSS project

09-Aug-10

There’s no denying the simple fact.  Our team can’t and won’t have explosive growth. Part of the way to scale ourselves we have always done, which is to engage with other community leaders and leverage each other.  Recently I had a new idea that we could fill out our circle on education and open source […]

Yay! More new people to play with

09-Aug-10

This morning I caught Simon Phipps’ dent about a 451 CAOS Theory report by Matthew Aslett, “The golden age of open source?“  In that report, Aslett describes our arriving at a fourth stage of commercial open source.  This fourth stage is highlighted by a return to community and collaboration.  Examples given are ones where different […]

OSCON and CLS 2010 highlights

31-Jul-10

As usual, when I get back from a big conference and trip, my mind is full processing everything that happened, and my life is full recovering from the effects of the travel.  Instead of a full report right here and now, I’m going to give a quick highlight of the latter part of July 2010. […]